I like what I do besides my work

Basically this is my rant on things besides my work.

Name:
Location: Ampang, Selangor, Malaysia

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Why aren't there many locals who commutes by bike?

From my observation, in Kuala Lumpur, there are not that many locals who cycle to work. Those who cycle are mostly from the lower income bracket or foreign labours. The pattern seems to show that cycling to work is only for those whose can't afford other forms of transportation.

I do ask around the office and some of my friends why they do not want to cycle to work? Majority of them use heat and humidity as their main excuses. There's no denying that one will sweat heaps cycling in Malaysia, being direct under the equator. It does get uncomfortable since the sweat doesn't dry out as quickly as in countires with four seasons where it is less humid.

But, from what I see, a lot of workplace have restroom where one can shower before changing to workcloth. When I say shower, I mean proper bath where you can rinse your whole body with running water, not just wiping yourself with wet sponge.

Perhaps another reason is that one can get cheap motorbike in Malaysia (the small cc bike) or locally known as "kapchai". Even the courier use these bikes. I can tell you that the possibility of a bicycle courier company to survive in KL is slim since the "kapchai" is much faster for weaving through city traffic.

Maybe I am just the lucky few Malaysian who took up bicycle commuting during my university days in Melbourne and loves the freedom it gives.

Well til then.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger yusofBMW said...

Hi Rizal, you are not alone.

I cycle to work too. And I bet my commute distance is farther than yours - 25km from Sijangkang, Kuala Langat to Bukit Raja, Shah Alam.

Funny thing is...due to heavy traffic, it takes me 1 hour to drive to work, but 1 hour 10 mins to cycle. So I might as well cycle.

I started cycling because I couldn't stand the jam and high petrol price anymore. Unless I have late nite assignments or outside appointments, I will cycle 5 days/week. I leave some neck ties and a spare business suit in the office.

My car stays shiny in my porch. My wife thinks I look fitter. My son is inspired to cycle to school. I am richer (as I save a lot on petrol). I am friendlier to the environment, including foreign workers on bicycles! I beat the jam. I ignore the rain. Our hot and humid weather don't scare me. I taste the sunrise. I experience the sunset. I feel free!

Cycling to work is one of the best things I have ever done in my life!

Wassalam Rizal, ride safe!

-yusoff-

3:04 PM  
Blogger Rizal M S said...

A'kum Yusoff,
I'm glad to know there are others who enjoy cycle commuting. My commute is only 15km each way. Much respect to you for the longer distancce and riding in whatever weather. I hope I will enjoy the same benefit as yours, at least my wife had noticed I'm fitter too.

Thanks for the good words and inspiration. Maybe our path will cross one day. Any blogs or pict?

11:37 PM  
Blogger yusofBMW said...

Yes I do it's yusoffbmw.blogspot.com.

Hope you enjoy reading. If you don't, don't get offended :) as I am just being the man that I am trying to get through this life like everybody else.

Thanks Rizal.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi guys, u r not alone too.

I cycle to office too. It is 15km journey and on the way home I took another 10km plus the Teluk Rubiah Hill. I stay in Manjung, Perak.

I have my own driver to pick me up every morning (boss la kira - military) but since 2 weeks ago, I force myself to do something good for my health. I started cycling and I already addicted to it! As a result, I manage to loose 2kg!

Cheers
shaiful

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home